I had the need to show some folks example screens of webapps I'm working on recently. Using those screenshots, the other party could have a better feel of things, we could have a clearer discussion. But the irritation [for me] is always the setup
- The app I'm working on is still in flux, i.e. design & data attributes will likely change, often
- The content I have is often imported from real data sources, and hence is somewhat private & sensitive
- I'm too lazy to think up fake names, fake scenarios, fake photos to fill my database, just so I could have a fragile, demo screenshot (I'd need to redo / update later)
What I'd really like is
- To be able to use my current webapp, as-is
- To be able to use my current data, as-is
- To protect private & sensitive data
Smells like a bookmarklet? So here it is Loremipsumizer.js. After installing it, I can anonymize any webpage instantly (then take a screenshot, annotate or print & discuss with somebody else, without worrying about the sensitivity of content)
Click here to try it on this webpage!
The Loremipsumizer will anonymize all text, scramble all numbers, replace images, flash embeds (& video tags?) with wireframe-ish cross-boxes (via data uri). Unfortunately I didn't have an elegant solution to anonymize background images (css sprinting, image size, etc) so I'll need suggestions there.
In any case, here are a few screenshots of webpages I've anonymized. No prizes for guessing which websites:
Note: Loremipsumizer does not require any JS library, and have not been tested on irritating browsers. Patches are welcome.